Forum home Road cycling forum The cake stop
Options

UK immigration - increased salary threshold

pep.fermipep.fermi Posts: 257
edited December 2023 in The cake stop
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-67634719

With the new rule, workers from abroad can move to the UK only if they earn 38700pa or more (up from the current 26200pa). Average UK earning is probably near 30kpa.
The new increased threshold will probably keep out many young bright smart talented ambitious University scientists from China and India.
Who will do the low-paid jobs the Brits refuse to do?

All good with politicians taking decision they know they damage their country, only in order to appease a fraction of their voters. It's the scale of the damage that is excessive....

• Options
    ProssPross Posts: 39,329
    Nice to have a new topic of discussion.
  • Options
    @Pross
    not sure if your reply was ironic. Maybe this is being discussed already in a different thread in the forum, sorry I didn't see it...
  • Options
    pep.fermi said:

@Pross
    not sure if your reply was ironic. Maybe this is being discussed already in a different thread in the forum, sorry I didn't see it...

pep.fermi said:

@Pross

It's being discussed in the Conservative Party one and has also been raised in quite a few others. The concensus is pretty much what you've said above.
  • Options
    It is a bit laughable making your policy of providing social services based on poaching care workers from countries that have spent money training their population and leaving them with insufficient care themselves whilst also pursuing a policy of making them feel particularly unwelcome here.

• Options
    briantrumpetbriantrumpet Posts: 16,632

It is a bit laughable making your policy of providing social services based on poaching care workers from countries that have spent money training their population and leaving them with insufficient care themselves whilst also pursuing a policy of making them feel particularly unwelcome here.

To be fair, we're training doctors and nurses who are going abroad to earn more than they can in the NHS.
  • Options
    edited December 2023

To be fair, we're training doctors and nurses who are going abroad to earn more than they can in the NHS.

UK is richer than most countries around the globe, so although yes there are healthcare workers trained here going abroad, without data at hand I would imagine the net flow is into the UK, not out.
    In fact, I would imagine by a huge margin.
  • Options

I have never understood why this does not bother more people
  • Options

Is it true that it leaves those countries with insufficient staff?
  • Options

Extremely interesting point.
    no idea, here my random guesses:
    1) some people they're too bothered with their own immediate things (cost of living, latest football results, growing up their children, booking the next holiday) to care about what's right or wrong.
    2) some people are simply to dumb to realize such policy "let's keep the poor out" goes against their interest.
    3) people "against" immigration are simply much louder than those realizing and admitting the UK actually benefits from it
  • Options
    rick_chaseyrick_chasey Posts: 70,789 Lives Here
    edited December 2023

Because it's great value for the UK, and the people they take on benefit too?

I thought you were a free marketer? Bring on lower friction labour markets.
  • Options

I can not believe that it is an optimal use of resources in the likes of the Philippines to train nurses for the NHS.

At the very least we could pay to expand the training
  • Options
    edited December 2023

I have no data of course, so I don't know...
    ...but I doubt Greece or Rumania have a problem of having too many Dr / nurses / carers / fruit pickers working there.

Reminds me when I hear "having a carer from East Europe here is a win-win: the family has a worker they couldn't otherwise afford, and the worker earns so much more than in their own country". Although this person makes a conscious decision, such statement ignores the facts such workers (very likely) leaves back home her own growing children and elderly parents. So although the net outcome is possibly still a win, it's not as positive as some see it...
  • Options
    edited December 2023

I can not believe that it is an optimal use of resources in the likes of the Philippines to train nurses for the NHS.

Why? Philipines produces an excess of nurses but does not provide the financial security the UK does.

It's win win. I don't really understand your logic here. Since when were you so autarkic?
  • Options
    edited December 2023

Philipines produces an excess of nurses

Does it?
  • Options
    TheBigBeanTheBigBean Posts: 20,001

The Philippines exports nurses. The export is all the remittances the country receives.
  • Options
    TheBigBeanTheBigBean Posts: 20,001
    edited December 2023
    Pre-covid remittances were around 10% of Philippines GDP.
  • Options
    photonic69photonic69 Posts: 2,233
    pep.fermi said:

UK is richer than most countries around the globe, so although yes there are healthcare workers trained here going abroad, without data at hand I would imagine the net flow is into the UK, not out.

I don't think so. By a very small poll of my own experience - taking my NHS dentist as an example. Pre Brexit/COVID there was a very steady churn of dentists from Greece, Spain, Hungary, India and China. So regular I barely saw the same one twice. Now it's mostly grumpy, white UK nationals probably because they haven't/can't get into private practice and make the megabucks.
  • Options
    pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 24,714
    edited December 2023

pep.fermi said:

I don't think so. By a very small poll of my own experience - taking my NHS dentist as an example. Pre Brexit/COVID there was a very steady churn of dentists from Greece, Spain, Hungary, India and China. So regular I barely saw the same one twice. Now it's mostly grumpy, white UK nationals probably because they haven't/can't get into private practice and make the megabucks.
    In my experience (post Brexit) they are generally young NHS trained and doing their required stint before going private.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Options
    joeyhalloranjoeyhalloran Posts: 1,073
    edited December 2023
    I think this needs to be read by someone in politics with an ounce of political ability and a backbone. The shitstorm we are in now is because (well, many things but one reason) politicians have essentially been deceiving people about the UKs reliance on immigration while demonising them. It requires a good politician to chart a course for people to comea round to the idea of immigration as a good thing. Much easier to just lie, stay in power, and let the country decline.
  • Options
    katanikatani Posts: 127
    edited December 2023
    pep.fermi said:

such statement ignores the facts such workers (very likely) leaves back home her own growing children and elderly parents. So although the net outcome is possibly still a win, it's not as positive as some see it...
    Plus you are constantly being reminded who you are as soon as you open your mouth in public. The British are obsessed with absolutely having to confirm which country you are from, why you came to theirs, if you are going back "home" for Christmas, Easter, summer holidays, planning to ever move back etc. etc. . I mean complete strangers do this to you. Reminds me the hospital nurse who was questioning me exactly that in the presence of a doctor and two other nurses, just as I was laid on a surgical table about to be getting operated. Can you imagine being more rude. And they weren't doing me a favour as the treatment was being paid for entirely by my private health insurance.
    Doesn't bother me in the slightest, as I have a thick skin and if I am arsed to engage, I answer with some self-deprecating humour, which always shuts those halfwits up. I do, however, know quite a few families who moved back "home" because they couldn't bear it anymore and decided they preferred to live poorer lifes, but be happier among their own folk... only to find out that their former workplace roles had now been filled with immigrants from even poorer countries i.e. mainly Ukrainians, but also from the Middle East or Azerbaijan, happy to work longer hours for lower wages.
    So on their way back to the UK on the next available plane.
  • Options
    pangolinpangolin Posts: 5,997
    edited December 2023
    Slightly odd rant. Certainly sounds like it bothers you a tad despite your claims otherwise.

Having lived in a couple of other countries I can assure you that asking where you are "from" is not a uniquely British trait.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Options
    pangolin said:

Slightly odd rant. Certainly sounds like it bothers you a tad despite your claims otherwise.

Heading lived in a couple of other countries I can assure you that asking where you are "from" is not a uniquely British trait.

It’s not just foreigners either. If you haven’t got a local accent people will often ask where are from. It’s generally just curiosity / making conversation. A bit different if you have a local accent but are non-white and someone asks where you are from ‘originally’ I would suggest.
  • Options
    It’s never meant positively in my experience
  • Options

What, irrespective of skin colour?

The first time I met a friend of mine who is French I asked where in France he was from, same with a South African friend. A northerner joined my running club and I asked him. Yet if any of them had been black I probably wouldn’t have asked or would have clarified with ‘which part of France / SA / northern England are you from’ to avoid it being a reference to their skin colour. I regularly get asked where I’m from when outside of Wales and people hear my accent.
  • Options
    Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 56,967
    I was asked where I was from by my boss to be in my interview with my current employer as they picked up on my accent. No offence taken and as it turned out their OH lived just around the corner from me in Redcar when we were both kids. Gave us something non work related to chat about and possibly helped get me the job.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Options
    ugo.santaluciaugo.santalucia Posts: 28,052
    edited December 2023
    I would reverse the policy and only issue visas for those earning up to 40k. This idea that the best and the brightest get the top jobs is old fashioned and flawed. I bet if we compare how bright (and useful to society) is the average City broker as compared to the average nurse there will be some surprises.
    Incidentally, the jobs that Brits don’t want are the ones under 40k…

Edit… I knew 3 city brokers, none of them had a degree and they came from professional sport or the army, without much in the way of education… their usp were to be able to deal with the pressure and being good in a team
    left the forum March 2023
  • Options
    First.AspectFirst.Aspect Posts: 13,791

You must get people genuinely interested in the Netherlands, surely? I used to get asked where I. Australia I was from all the time when I lived in Canada.

Er... England.

It's just a conversation opener, in that context.
  • Options
    I don’t have an accent so it doesn’t come up.

Mother on the other hand.
  • Options
    pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 24,714

I don’t have an accent so it doesn’t come up.

Mother on the other hand.

What a strange comment.
    Everyone has an accent.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.