Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB general
Options

Bikes and cars

Right, confession: I am not an MTBist, but I feel you folk are best placed for advice.
I love thrashing round off road on my gravel bike. I sometimes go by car, and just pop down the seats and chuck the bike in. It's an old car, not worried about dirt.
But...if I had a nicer car, how would I keep it "nice" without faffing around with racks? This includes driver's seat, etc.
Thanks in advance.

It's just a hill. Get over it.

• Options
    hdowhdow Posts: 183
    Old carpet to line the back. Rolls up easy. Will soak up oil, mud & water. Let it dry then shake it out to keep clean
  • Options
    oxomanoxoman Posts: 11,748
    Similar issues to you and I've managed for a couple of years with a large waterproof cover spread over the back of the car when the seats are down. I use a mechanics seat cover over my drivers seat if I'm dirty / wet. I have a plastic storage box that I can chuck dirty /wet stuff in. This has been with both my gravel and mtb. I am looking at replacing my car in the summer and the prerequisites include roof rails so I can fit my bike carrier again.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • Options
    secretsamsecretsam Posts: 5,039
    edited December 2023
    oxoman said:

...so I can fit my bike carrier again.

Yeah, sadly a dislocated shoulder and general oldie knackeration mean that a tailgate rack is my option
    oxoman said:

I use a mechanics seat cover

Any recommendations?
    hdow said:

Old carpet to line the back. Rolls up easy. Will soak up oil, mud & water. Let it dry then shake it out to keep clean

I hadn't thought of that. Genius.

• Options
    whyamiherewhyamihere Posts: 7,681
    I just use a large tarp in the boot, folded so that it goes up the sides a bit to protect the carpet there.
  • Options
    oxomanoxoman Posts: 11,748
    Secretsam I've just got a generic one care of mac tools. Machine mart, sealey, halfords etc do them or amazon. Just be aware car seat airbags.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • Options
    me-109me-109 Posts: 1,918
    I use a groundsheet meant for use under a tent. It's like a large heavy duty plastic sheet rather than a tarp that is woven material. It's more robust and fully waterproof. The edges have gone raggy after many years use and exposure to UV, heat and cold.
  • Options
    secretsamsecretsam Posts: 5,039
    I thought you'd all have vans...