Forum home Road cycling forum Pro race
Options

GCN shutting?

phreakphreak Posts: 2,890
Just had an email saying that GCN+ is shutting. With Wiggle and Islabikes going this year as well it feels like the sport is falling apart a bit.

• Options
    GCN isn't shutting.
  • Options
    phreakphreak Posts: 2,890

• Options
    GCN arent shutting I dont think. Just GCN + the racing side of things.

This is no great surprise. They've been flushing money down the loo since they started GCN+. It was a mad proposition.

Ive mentioned before we should not take racing coverage for granted.

I think ad-free access will now only be via Discovery plus. Not sure about eurosport website
  • Options
    Also I suspect the Documentaries will disappear. Certainly cease to be made. Even if the ***** did do them on the cheap.
  • Options
    phreak said:

Watch their YouTube video.
  • Options
    rick_chaseyrick_chasey Posts: 70,789 Lives Here
    VPN and other national broadcasters are your friend...
  • Options
    TheBigBeanTheBigBean Posts: 20,001

This is no great surprise. They've been flushing money down the loo since they started GCN+. It was a mad proposition.

I think ad-free access will now only be via Discovery plus. Not sure about eurosport website

Soon I think there will just be a TNT app. The important question will be whether it will still be possible to get Eurosport without the rest.
  • Options
    photonic69photonic69 Posts: 2,233
    Seems like a lot of bike related media industry is going down the chute. MBUK owned by OurMedia made a whole load of redundancies earlier this year and replaced older, experienced staff with more junior, less paid roles and expected them to get on with it.
    Seems like a sign of the times as maybe less and less advertising revenue is coming in for this field?
  • Options
    dannbodgedannbodge Posts: 1,152
    phreak said:

Just had an email saying that GCN+ is shutting. With Wiggle and Islabikes going this year as well it feels like the sport is falling apart a bit.

Not sure I'd put Islabikes in the same pot as wiggle.
    Two compeltely different reasons
  • Options
    andyracandyrac Posts: 1,097
    First the Eurosport Player, then GCN+, and the GCN app......
    To be honest, it never made much sense having all these separate 'channels' covering basically the same thing. I subscribed to Eurosport as I also watch the WEC, snooker, ski-ing...the only thing I missed out on were the GCN documentaries.

All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • Options
    Looks like for

Soon I think there will just be a TNT app. The important question will be whether it will still be possible to get Eurosport without the rest.
    Looks like Discovery +_ at £6.99/mth will still be OK for a while. I think Ive paid annually for it in the past at £39.99.
  • Options
    gethincerigethinceri Posts: 1,480
    I'm censored livid.
  • Options
    andyrac said:

First the Eurosport Player, then GCN+, and the GCN app......
    To be honest, it never made much sense having all these separate 'channels' covering basically the same thing. I subscribed to Eurosport as I also watch the WEC, snooker, ski-ing...the only thing I missed out on were the GCN documentaries.

Which is exactly what's happened. Warner / Discovery are bringing everything in house now, and then TNT and Eurosport will eventually merge into one entity in a few years.
  • Options
    r0bhr0bh Posts: 2,133
    Does Discovery plus have all the cyclocross that GCN+ does?
  • Options
    r0bh said:

Does Discovery plus have all the cyclocross that GCN+ does?

Yip.

https://www.discoveryplus.com/gb/sport/cyclo-cross
  • Options
    No_Ta_DoctorNo_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,039
    edited November 2023
    I've only ever had Eurosport and I've had everything. The app isn't brilliant, stuff is badly labelled, but you can get the same content (other than the docs), language choices and ad free on it
    “Road racing was over and the UCI had banned my riding positions on the track, so it was like ‘Jings, crivvens, help ma Boab, what do I do now? I know, I’ll go away and be depressed for 10 years’.”

@DrHeadgear

The Vikings are coming!
  • Options
    roscoeroscoe Posts: 446
    Bit gutted at this, where can we watch ad free now?
  • Options
    No_Ta_DoctorNo_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,039
    roscoe said:

Eurosport app.
    “Road racing was over and the UCI had banned my riding positions on the track, so it was like ‘Jings, crivvens, help ma Boab, what do I do now? I know, I’ll go away and be depressed for 10 years’.”

@DrHeadgear

The Vikings are coming!
  • Options
    gweedsgweeds Posts: 2,527
    I get Discovery Plus via my Sky sub, which I assume is the same as the Eurosport schedule as far as the cycling stage goes?
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Options
    roscoe said:

discovery +. Though not sure how those outside of Europe will be affected.

In terms of racing coverage the only difference we will see is Dan Lloyd not wearing a GCN jumper. And the price. Having both services was never likely to be sustainable long term.
  • Options
    daniel_bdaniel_b Posts: 11,433
    In the uk, to the best of my knowledge, the eurosport app no longer exists.

Would be very happy to be corrected.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Options
    gweedsgweeds Posts: 2,527
    daniel_b said:

The website version still works
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Options
    andyracandyrac Posts: 1,097
    daniel_b said:

I've just checked on my phone, and it's there - currently showing Koppenbergcross on E1, FIM World SuperCross on E2.

You may be thinking of the Eurosport Player app which was discontinued earlier this year.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • Options
    pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 24,714
    andyrac said:

daniel_b said:

I've just checked on my phone, and it's there - currently showing Koppenbergcross on E1, FIM World SuperCross on E2.

You may be thinking of the Eurosport Player app which was discontinued earlier this year.
    There are 2 threads on this which is confusing.
    ES is available to new customers but expensive at £6.99/month. 😱
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Options
    pangolinpangolin Posts: 5,997
    pblakeney said:

andyrac said:

daniel_b said:

Agreed 2 threads in unnecessary for the same content. I look forward to an email confirming one of them is shutting down.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    pblakeney said:

andyrac said:

daniel_b said:

I started mine first ;-)

And yes Andy, I am thinking about the ES player, but when I look on Play and search for Eurosport, all I get is Eurosport: Live News and scores.

If there is a web system with no app, that doesn't have appeal for me, as I like to cast from my phone to the tv.
    Looks like it is locked in to £84 a year too sadly, so double negative for me.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Options
    So march to September, 7 months of Discovery plus for a smidge under £50.
    Sorry cyclocross you didn't make the cut.
  • Options
    daniel_b said:

pblakeney said:

andyrac said:

daniel_b said:

I started mine first ;-)

And yes Andy, I am thinking about the ES player, but when I look on Play and search for Eurosport, all I get is Eurosport: Live News and scores.

If there is a web system with no app, that doesn't have appeal for me, as I like to cast from my phone to the tv.
    You can definitely watch on the Eurosport site. I did checked this morning.

the £6.99/mth will get you access to the Eurosport streams on the discovery plus app That is the route i will be taking.
  • Options

daniel_b said:

pblakeney said:

andyrac said:

daniel_b said:

I started mine first ;-)

You can definitely watch on the Eurosport site. I did checked this morning.

the £6.99/mth will get you access to the Eurosport streams on the discovery plus app That is the route i will be taking.
    That's interesting, and it also seems there is a chrome extension that enables you to cast from a laptop to a tv.

Not as convenient as the current setup, or the previous ES Player setup, but there we go.

As per someone else's comments, thinking that a monthly sub through the key months would likely be all that is needed, and then the cost will remain very similar.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18