Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB general
Options

Bike Rack With Rear Boot Spoiler?

reaperactualreaperactual Posts: 1,186
edited October 2023 in MTB general
Hi all. A bit of a long shot but I'm looking at a single bike rack (Saris Solo) to fit onto the rear hatch of my Corsa.

The trouble is the car has a rear spoiler and this bike rack has the usual straps that would need to hook on, go over and pull downwards on the spoiler.

Wondering if anyone has encountered a similar problem or if a spoiler would be okay to take the weight of a 15kg'ish bike pulling down on the two top straps?🤷‍♂️

• Options
    First.AspectFirst.Aspect Posts: 13,791
    I'm going to suggest it will be okay, based on this photo from the Saris website.

Was also going to suggest you went for a Seasucker rack instead, then saw the price.

Alternatively, and it would solve the problem you have of driving a banana, you could get another car?
  • Options

I'm going to suggest it will be okay, based on this photo from the Saris website.

Was also going to suggest you went for a Seasucker rack instead, then saw the price.

Alternatively, and it would solve the problem you have of driving a banana, you could get another car?

Cheers for the reply Buddy. Yeah I've been trawling the Internet and seen a few cars (including this one on the Saris website) that seem to have no issues with spoilers.

I suppose it's worth a shot. Agree, I don't want to spend big money on something for only occasional use.

These Solo's are £50 new but can get hold of a second hand one for £30 on ebay.

Car wise, I've just lost £5000 selling a Nissan Pulsar at auction coz it had a dud engine.😭 My bike used to fit easily in the back with the front wheel removed.

Recent car woes have left me reliving my race boy days and wanting a simple basic motor. Really pleased to find my much loved 'Bumble' which you rudely referred to as a 'banana' but I'll let it slide this time seeing as you helped me out a bit.😀👍
  • Options
    First.AspectFirst.Aspect Posts: 13,791

Cheers for the reply Buddy. Yeah I've been trawling the Internet and seen a few cars (including this one on the Saris website) that seem to have no issues with spoilers.

I suppose it's worth a shot. Agree, I don't want to spend big money on something for only occasional use.

These Solo's are £50 new but can get hold of a second hand one for £30 on ebay.

Car wise, I've just lost £5000 selling a Nissan Pulsar at auction coz it had a dud engine.😭 My bike used to fit easily in the back with the front wheel removed.

Recent car woes have left me reliving my race boy days and wanting a simple basic motor. Really pleased to find my much loved 'Bumble' which you rudely referred to as a 'banana' but I'll let it slide this time seeing as you helped me out a bit.😀👍
    I used to be able to get a term's worth of stuff plus a road bike into a Fiat Panda. Are you sure you can't just flip the seats down, take the front wheel off and get a bike in there?
  • Options

I used to be able to get a term's worth of stuff plus a road bike into a Fiat Panda. Are you sure you can't just flip the seats down, take the front wheel off and get a bike in there?

I tried a few different ways but none worked out well for driving comfortably and/or safely enough. I'd be wary of getting pulled over if the police spotted it.

Not bothered to try as it will likely fit by taking both wheels off but don't really want to be doing that every time.

Seems like the Saris would be the most convenient, hassle free option available and worth a try for 30ish quid.

Maybe I could even adapt the spoiler a little to get the straps to hook on underneath if over the top causes an issue.🤷‍♂️