Forum homeโ€บ Road cycling forumโ€บ Pro race
Options

Cyclocross 2023/24 **Contains spoilers**

takethehighroadtakethehighroad Posts: 6,539
edited October 2023 in Pro race
It's that time of year again. Vincent Baesteans is cleaning up in the American races.

The last one is Sunday before the "proper" stuff starts the week after back in Belgium and a World Cup in America on 15th
ยซ134

• Options
    andyracandyrac Posts: 1,097
    He cleaned up during the recent weekend, but not the first rounds in Roanoke, Virginia. Loris Rouillier won both races that weekend.

Maghalie Rochette has won all 4 USCX Cup women's races, but was given a scare on Sunday.....

Some CX connected news;

Clara Honsinger has returned to the S&M team, after the demise of the EF-Tibco/SVB team - and seemingly no interest from European teams.
    Shirin Van Anrooij will have a reduced CX season to concentrate on the early season classic, particularly Strade Bianchi.
    Puck Pieterse will ride the first CX World Cup in Waterloo, which is a week after the final MTB World Cup - before a break (as mentioned in her GoPro video).
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • Options
    red.riderred.rider Posts: 1,022
    The Swiss CX season got underway in the Zรผrich Oberland this past weekend. Kevin Kรผhn (SUI) took the menโ€™s race, while Hรฉlรจne Clauzel (FRA) put in a dominant display to comfortably win ahead of ร‰vita Musiรง (FRA) in the womenโ€™s event.

In the Cross-fรผr-Alle category, I was 15th/28 in my first ever bike race of any discipline. Fun times!
  • Options
    Some kid called Nys won at the weekend.

Was a great performance across the last lap and good to see the Pauwels team dominance being challenged

Apparently the kid who won has a famous Dad
  • Options
    pinnopinno Posts: 50,651

Some kid called Nys won at the weekend.

Was a great performance across the last lap and good to see the Pauwels team dominance being challenged

Apparently the kid who won has a famous Dad

I was surprised by the strength of his sprint and Iserbyt moved through to lead it out of the last bend after Nys had a blunder. I think (?) Nys got his gearing wrong when he initially hopped off not anticipating getting back on the bike at the top?

1hr 7 mins:

https://www.eurosport.com/cyclo-cross/beringen/exact-cross_brdeurosport-e100264229c0ch20009/video.shtml
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Options
    I think we'll see Nys up at the front quite often this season, maybe not consistently. A chance to win his first Elite World Cup before later in the season when others return. But he's benefitting from a summer on the road with a World Tour team.

First UCI World Cup of the season, in Waterloo, the home of Trek. Predictably, a small field for both Elite races; quite a contrast after watching the MTB World Cups in North America.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • Options
    orraloonorraloon Posts: 12,349
    Mens' Overijse race is a good watch. Looks all done early laps, then closes up, then last lap...๐Ÿ˜ณ Nys or Iserbyt? And Cameron Mason puts in a good ride in his new world.
  • Options
    andypandyp Posts: 10,007
    edited October 2023
    orraloon said:

Mens' Overijse race is a good watch. Looks all done early laps, then closes up, then last lap...๐Ÿ˜ณ Nys or Iserbyt? And Cameron Mason puts in a good ride in his new world.

One of the best races I've seen in some time. The mens racing seems to have usurped the womens racing in terms of close racing.
  • Options
    m.r.m.m.r.m. Posts: 3,264
    Until... ๐Ÿ˜‰
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Options
    A very enjoyable race in Overijse. It never fails to deliver
  • Options
    Yeah, Overijse is a fabulous course, and makes a change from the norm. Gavere, and Namur are similar....climbing, descents and skill involved rather than just raw power.

Over in the US, 18 yo Isabella Holmgren won her first Elite level race in the Kings CX race, beating Honsinger - reversing the previous day's result. Which completed a great weekend for the family, as older brother Gunnar won the Pan-American Games XCO title in Chile.
  • Options
    pinnopinno Posts: 50,651
    FVE so dominating the womens elite, it's a bit boring. We need Puck and Lucinda.

Not sure Nys needed to get ahead of Iserbyt or perhaps he was he concerned about the short sprint.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Options
    Puck is on a well deserved rest after a successful MTB season, and Lucinda is recovering from injury.......Shirin is also resting after her road season, culminating in winning the Tour de l'Avenir.

It seems Fem is the only one totally focussed on CX, and hit the ground running.....and is a level above what's left.
  • Options
    r0bhr0bh Posts: 2,133
    It's interesting that FvE had relatively mediocre results at XCO but then covers back to CX and is streets ahead
  • Options
    She's not the first, nor will she be the last CX World champion to struggle with XCO racing; the longer climbs/ descents, the far more technical sections proved too much even for Sven & Vos....it even took MvdP a few seasons before winning a XCO World Cup.
    Only a handful of riders have won World Cups in both.
  • Options
    seanoconnseanoconn Posts: 10,984
    I have two questions for the cyclocross threadโ€ฆ

As an avid and extremely knowledgeable cyclocross fan who can most definitely name more than 10 CX riders, and as someone who watches every minute of the early season races, (ha! Who needs the big names to be involved to tune in, not me, thatโ€™s for sure.)

My two question are

When will MVDP, WVA/ Pidcock start their campaigns? and when will MDVP, WVA and Pidcock start their campaigns?
    Pinno, ืžืœืš ืื™ื“ื™ื•ื˜ ื•ื—ืจื ืžื›ื•ื ืื™
  • Options
    Nothing has been officially announced; it's normally anytime from late November/ early December. They were all racing well into October....
    At the moment, then men are providing the best racing - today was close racing until the penultimate lap.

Tomorrow is Rnd 2 of the World Cup, in Maasmechelen, Belgium.

Van Empel doesn't look to have much competition, with Van Anrooij/Pieterse resting. Nys tries to double up, but Iserbyt will be looking to win.

In other news, Danish junior wunderkid, Albert Philipsen won his first CX race of the season; he's now a 2nd year Junior.......
  • Options
    r0bhr0bh Posts: 2,133
    seanoconn said:

I have two questions for the cyclocross threadโ€ฆ

As an avid and extremely knowledgeable cyclocross fan who can most definitely name more than 10 CX riders, and as someone who watches every minute of the early season races, (ha! Who needs the big names to be involved to tune in, not me, thatโ€™s for sure.)

My two question are

When will MVDP, WVA/ Pidcock start their campaigns? and when will MDVP, WVA and Pidcock start their campaigns?

Wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see them until the Christmas/NY races
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Another less than exciting race......Fem in a different league at the moment; Ceylin had a combination of bad luck, and mistakes.....

From memory, that's the 16th consecutive all Dutch women's World Cup podium, going back to last season. Not exactly competitive ......apart from the Dutch & Belgians, I'm not sure the biggest talents elsewhere end up in CX.

Another great race in the men's; all going at it, slips, mistakes....this time Lars takes the win.

Next up, the classic Koppenbergcross on Wednesday, and then the Euros in Pontchateau in France at the weekend.
  • Options
    JimD666JimD666 Posts: 1,784
    Wife took one look at the coverage of todays races: "Ah proper Cross" ๐Ÿคฃ

Not the greatest of racing but fun to watch for the conditions
  • Options
    The men's race was pretty good - another excellent performance from Nys jr, who will be hoping to carry on his good form on Sunday; a nice battle behind with Lars, overcoming Iserbyt - and a fabulous result from Cam Mason in 4th, ahead of Michael Vantourenhout. Thomas Mein also got a Top10....2 Brits in the top 10 in Belgium is almost unheard of.

The women's was another 'non race' - too many absences, and a serious lack of depth; Fem wins, ahead of Betsema, and good to see Anna Kay with a podium in 3rd.

Onto the Euros on Pontchateau, France.
  • Options
    orraloonorraloon Posts: 12,349
    Just watched these rides. Well muddy.

All Saints Day being a public holiday in Belgie, def a lot of pissheads spectating ๐Ÿ˜Š.

Nice one Cameron.
  • Options
    Really enjoyed that, proper brutal course. Great ride by Nys, anyone but Iserbyt. Huge confident boost for Mason.
  • Options
  • Options
    Surprised MvdP isnโ€™t starting with Val di Sole, he really enjoyed it last season.
  • Options
    seanoconn said:

Surprised MvdP isnโ€™t starting with Val di Sole, he really enjoyed it last season.

He did? It was his worst performance of his (truncated) season.
  • Options
    JimD666JimD666 Posts: 1,784
    All European Champs races postponed till tomorrow due to weather. Gusty and thunderstorms by the look of things
  • Options
    Also, the Pan-American championships - but as usual, it's basically a US/Canada championship.
  • Options
    Two wins in the Junior races for French riders....and plenty in the Top 10....but we know what usually happens....

Women's U23 currently underway.....
  • Options
    No_Ta_DoctorNo_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,039
    andyrac said:

Two wins in the Junior races for French riders....and plenty in the Top 10....but we know what usually happens....

Women's U23 currently underway.....

Dominant win for Zoe Backstedt in front of Schreiber and Zemanova
    โ€œRoad racing was over and the UCI had banned my riding positions on the track, so it was like โ€˜Jings, crivvens, help ma Boab, what do I do now? I know, Iโ€™ll go away and be depressed for 10 yearsโ€™.โ€

@DrHeadgear

The Vikings are coming!