Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB general
Options

Orange p7 value?

I've got a 16 yo steel orange p7 mtb. Deore equipment and disc brakes in really good condition and not used much. I'm planning to sell it but have no idea of worth?

• Options
    singletonsingleton Posts: 2,468
    I think that sounds perfect for an auction site such as eBay.
    If you list it on there, you can allow people to submit bids of what they think it is worth.
  • Options
    steve_sordysteve_sordy Posts: 2,440
    edited July 2023
    Typical bike depreciation "rule of thumb" is 30% per year, which would indicate that pretty much any bike will be worthless after 16 years. But my view is that the 30% figure only matters for the first 5 years if that. After 4-5 years, it is the condition of it that matters.

Take a look on eBay to see what a similar (or even the same if you are lucky) bike sells for, or are advertised for.

As with all bikes, the value will depend upon condition as much as age. If you can describe a bike that has been looked after by one owner since new and can reveal what has been done to it by a caring owner, supported by multiple pictures.... then you may do quite well. There is no need in my mind to say at the start that it is 16 years old if it is in "very good" condition. If you know it is 16 years old, then you may be the original owner, which is very good; use that fact.

But if it has been languishing outside the back of the garage for the last ten years, then you won't get much for it at all, no matter how desirable the name "Orange P7".

I have sold used bikes that have beaten the 30% depreciation "rule of thumb".

Tip: eBay publish selling deals on Fridays. Deals like "80% off selling fees". Look out for them.