Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB general
Options

Forks under wrranty / One last service

Got my bike in May 2022.
The warranty on the forks runs out, obviously, in 2023.
There is nothing wrong with them, but is it not unusual for riders to get a FREE service in from the fork manufacturer before the warranty ends?
My LBS is saying, if there is nothing wrong, then whats the point?
The whole point is that i get them serviced for free FFS
Homer
GT Rider
Cube Limited 29th
Trek Superfly FS 7

• Options
    JBAJBA Posts: 2,852
    I've never heard of anyone getting a free fork service.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Options
    oxomanoxoman Posts: 11,748
    As JBA says. TBH one of my bikes has been thrashed thr last 7yrs and only had 1 fork service in that time. Still working good. Bike suppliers / shops normally give a free cursory service after a few weeks of riding to tighten or adjust anything that's required, they don't go independent and don't replace anything unless obviously defective and under warranty.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • Options
    reaperactualreaperactual Posts: 1,186
    Same here. Only one service in four years. All looked good inside and it's probably gonna be another few years before I do it again.
  • Options
    The RookieThe Rookie Posts: 27,811
    homeroid said:

but is it not unusual for riders to get a FREE

It's very unusual to get a free service.
    Do you expect free services on your car as well? :-)
    Shops will usually do a free 6 week tune up on bikes due to some settling in of parts, but service, no.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Options
    steve_sordysteve_sordy Posts: 2,440
    edited June 2023
    Unless the bike shop is unusual, you won't get a "free service". What you will get a is a free "six-week check" to check bolt tightness and gear cable tension.
    Suspension servicing, as with everything else, is down to you.

I get my suspension serviced every 12 months or 1200 miles, whichever comes last. I don't censored about doing lower leg services or air can services every 20 hours as recommended by the manufacturer. I wash the bike regularly and keep the stanchions clean and lubed. That's it. I've been riding for 13 years now and I have never had a problem.