Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB general
Options

Changing wheel size on Sus MTB 26" to 29"?

Hi all.
I'm being loaned an old Trek MTB with 26" wheels with quick release skewers (not sure of skewer sizes, whether 12mn/15mm or other); cabled disc brakes and suspension front forks, with 9speed rear cassette & Deora derailur.
As most riding be broken tarmac and towpaths commute, I'm wondering whether I could "just" swap out for 29" or 650B wheels?
As temporary measure obviously I don't want spend too much on it.

• Options
    JBAJBA Posts: 2,852
    You might be able to fit 27.5" wheels but it's doubtful 29" will fit. There just won't be enough clearance in the forks or between the seat and chain stays.
    If it's quick release then the rear is probably 135mm and the front 100mm wide.

Best way to find out what will fit is ask a friend who has a larger wheeled bike if you can try fitting them to your bike. However, for the use you describe I'd just stick with what you have. Check the hub bearings, maybe service the forks, set the brakes up properly, fit new tyres if needed and enjoy the ride.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Options
    The RookieThe Rookie Posts: 27,811
    Qr skewers are probably 5mm and not through axle.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Options
    davee128davee128 Posts: 27
    edited April 2023
    It will ride better with the wheels it was designed for, even if you could fit something bigger (which would only be possible with very thin tyres and assuming it has disc brakes).

Honestly 26" bikes can still ride very well. To make it faster go buy some high quality tyres designed for the kind of riding you will be doing. You will have to look harder for 26" but they are still out there.
  • Options
    me-109me-109 Posts: 1,918
    I'd be surprised if any 29er has QR hubs. Just stick some slick/semi-slick tyres on it.
  • Options
    davee128 said:

It will ride better with the wheels it was designed for, even if you could fit something bigger (which would only be possible with very thin tyres and assuming it has disc brakes).

Honestly 26" bikes can still ride very well. To make it faster go buy some high quality tyres designed for the kind of riding you will be doing. You will have to look harder for 26" but they are still out there.

davee128 said:

He said he’s commuting on tarmac and towpaths not mountain biking. Balance might be a little better on 26 but bigger wheels will roll better over stuff it’s noticeable especially when you have wider rims and tires.
  • Options
    andyh01 said:

Hi all.
    I'm being loaned an old Trek MTB with 26" wheels with quick release skewers (not sure of skewer sizes, whether 12mn/15mm or other); cabled disc brakes and suspension front forks, with 9speed rear cassette & Deora derailur.
    As most riding be broken tarmac and towpaths commute, I'm wondering whether I could "just" swap out for 29" or 650B wheels?
    As temporary measure obviously I don't want spend too much on it.

I have an MTB with 29" wheels. The bike has a noticeably larger frame than an MTB with 26" wheels. I can't imagine how you could put 29" on a frame designed for 26"...

Hi all bikers!