Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB general
Options

Canyon Paint failing!

Just thought I would share my experience with my Canyon Grand Canyon 7.9SL. This bike has been very lightly used, mainly for family bike rides to be honest, as I prefer to hit the roads on my road bike. I also look after my bikes very well, so I was very surprised to see the paint bubbling(failing) on my Canyon, it is only around areas that have pre-drilled holes from manufacture, please see photos. The response I received off Canyon customer care service department was very very disappointing to say the least, not only were they not very sympathetic what so ever they seem to think this is paint damage and not covered in the 6 year warranty, I personally think this is ridiculous as anyone can see the areas affected are not damaged but just bubbling around the bikes drilled holes. I would appreciate any advice as, so far I am getting nowhere with them , in fact pretty much just ignoring my emails and twitter messages, pretty sure they would reply quickly if I were looking to buy something! If nothing else and all I can really do is spread the word, I hope this post serves as a warning to others of the quality of some of their frames and the after care they DON'T give if you have any issues, don't think I will be buying a bike from anywhere other than a UK based store ideally locally from now on. cheers for any help in advance.

• Options
    Munsford0Munsford0 Posts: 606
    How old is the bike? Looks like the kind of alu corrosion I have in various places on my winter road bike. But that's 15 years old...
    Only takes a tiny scratch or nick in the paint and the salty water gets in, fluffy white corrosion develops and starts to work its way under the paint. Seems to be self- sustaining after that. Dropouts, around bottle cage bolts, attachment points for mudguards and other stuff seem to be the common points. Only solution is to take it back to bare, shiny metal / sound paint then apply etching primer before topcoat / lacquer.
  • Options
    MattFalleMattFalle Posts: 11,644
    4/5 years old, paint damage, no manufacturer will cover it.

blast, powder coat, use.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Options
    Munsford0 said:

How old is the bike? Looks like the kind of alu corrosion I have in various places on my winter road bike. But that's 15 years old...
    Only takes a tiny scratch or nick in the paint and the salty water gets in, fluffy white corrosion develops and starts to work its way under the paint. Seems to be self- sustaining after that. Dropouts, around bottle cage bolts, attachment points for mudguards and other stuff seem to be the common points. Only solution is to take it back to bare, shiny metal / sound paint then apply etching primer before topcoat / lacquer.

Its 5 years old, but don't use much in winter, prob barely done 500 miles on it. also i agree it is where bare metal appears, but these are the pre-drilled areas from manufacturer not damaged areas, my road bike is aluminium and twice as old with 10 times the mileage at least and no signs of this, just badly manufactured, maybe just unlucky, but this shouldn't be happening this easily. it's more their complete lack of interest and contact that is annoying
  • Options
    MattFalle said:

blast, powder coat, use.

that may well be the case, but I have never had a bike do this before, poor quality, all the non canyon components are like new, which is most of the bike other than frame!
  • Options
    pangolinpangolin Posts: 5,997
    edited October 2022
    The bike is probably complaining that it's only doing 100 miles a year.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Options
    MattFalleMattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited October 2022

MattFalle said:

blast, powder coat, use.

that may well be the case, but I have never had a bike do this before, poor quality, all the non canyon components are like new, which is most of the bike other than frame!
    Canyons have got a pretty good rep so we'd suggest its your bike.

Paint still not covered.

They won't have any more interest than the second or third time they told you it wasn't covered under warranty as there is only so many times you can say no to someone before giving up.

The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.