Forum home Commuter cycling forum The workshop
Options

what tool is needed?

Hi Folks, can someone tell me what tool i need to remove this bottom bracket?

thanks

• Options
    It’s just a spanner, measure the size with a vernier
    left the forum March 2023
  • Options
    its just a big spanner - a big adjustable would be fine but the flanges are very thin so its hard to get purchase

However over many years and despite many attempts I have only ever been able to remove one of these bearings. And that one in the photo looks like its been in for a long time

Precession just makes them tighter and tighter

Unless the bearing surface is destroyed I would just clean in situ and replace the bearings.

If you're wanting to remove it to replace with a cartridge type bearing - good luck
  • Options

its just a big spanner - a big adjustable would be fine but the flanges are very thin so its hard to get purchase

However over many years and despite many attempts I have only ever been able to remove one of these bearings. And that one in the photo looks like its been in for a long time

Precession just makes them tighter and tighter

Unless the bearing surface is destroyed I would just clean in situ and replace the bearings.

If you're wanting to remove it to replace with a cartridge type bearing - good luck

Yes I was wanting to do as you thought.. remove and replace.
    Thanks for suggestions
  • Options
    andrew_s-2andrew_s-2 Posts: 49
    edited September 2022
    Spanners like the Park HCW-4 are generally required.
    (check the size before buying).
    They are still often supplied in cheapish tool sets like those that Lidl/Aldi sell occasionally, and there's usually also a pin spanner and a C-wrench for the adjustable cup side.

As noted, whilst a large adjustable or suitably sized normal spanner can be used, it's difficult to keep them in place whilst you heave on them.

Regardless of the tool used, it's good practice to clamp it loosely in place with something screwed into the end of the BB axle.
  • Options
    photonic69photonic69 Posts: 2,233
    Also establish if its Left or Right handed thread before you start heaving.
    I've used a large G clamp across bottom brackets with a flat bar of steel across the spanner flats to keep it in place whilst heaving.
  • Options
    lesfirthlesfirth Posts: 1,383
    As above plus an engineers bench vice gripping the flats does a good job.If all else fails,a hammer and a chisel. I think that will be a left hand thread.
  • Options
    It’s just a spanner, measure the size with a vernier
    DZX Ace, operating under Dezhixing Group Holding Limited, is a premier accessories shop dedicated to enhancing your driving experience. Established in 2021, we have swiftly become a trusted name in the aftermarket car accessories industry. Specializing in custom seat covers for various car brands, including Tesla, Honda, HYD, BMW, and more, we take pride in providing high-quality, tailor-made solutions for automotive enthusiasts worldwide.