Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB general
Options

How can they send a bike out the workshop like that!!

My son came back today having come off and broken his brake lever. A quick washer change and a small battle with a c clip, all sorted.
He asked me to have a look at his mates bike. The lad had literally picked it up on Saturday from a certain car/bike shop I am sure we are all aware of. It wouldn’t go into the 2 lowest gears and kept dropping the chain off the chain ring (it’s a 1x).
No word of a lie but the ‘mechanics’ there had not bothered to:
Add the correct tension to the gear cable
Adjusted the low limit screw so that it could go into 1st or 2nd
Adjusted the b limit screw so it wouldn’t hit the cassette while changing down gear
Not even bothered setting the correct chain length, I had to take out about 5 links.
I knew this shop had a low rep but that was ridiculous!!

• Options
    oxomanoxoman Posts: 11,748
    Sadly some can and do because the people in there havent been trained properly if at all. Some are really good and and some really bad something there trying to remedy. SOMEHOW. :*
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • Options
    Name and shame the branch in the local press
    that's what I'd do ;)
  • Options
    The RookieThe Rookie Posts: 27,811
    edited September 2022
    ed1973 said:

I had to take out about 5 links.
    !

I know for absolute certainty you didn't take out 5 links! Guaranteed.

The issue Halfords staff have is that their PDI agreements specifically prohibit them from checking certain things even if they know they probably need to. Stupid I know. (My eldest used to work in Bikehut and it drove them nuts) doing things not on the PDI sheet was a disciplinary matter.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Options

ed1973 said:

!

The issue Halfords staff have is that their PDI agreements specifically prohibit them from checking certain things even if they know they probably need to. Stupid I know. (My eldest used to work in Bikehut and it drove them nuts) doing things not on the PDI sheet was a disciplinary matter.
    I’d like to see evidence of that

What’s to stop them having a further procedure of their own?
  • Options
    MattFalleMattFalle Posts: 11,644

ed1973 said:

!

I’d like to see evidence of that

What’s to stop them having a further procedure of their own?
    the PDI agreements
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Options
    OP - whst bike? piccies for evidence?

what did the branch say when you took it back to explain whst you had fone?

what did the lad say when you explained that you had invalidated the warranty on his new bike?

• Options
    I guess we all have our favourite Halford's stories, but how many are recent ones like this? I have two absolute corkers experienced personally, but they are from several years before the pandemic. I had thought that their new MD had sorted stuff like that. But maybe he has moved on, having reaped the dividends from his investment in staff training. The report from ed1973 is the first I have seen for ages now and it is typical of the Halford's stories that used to appear all the time in the biking press. If this is the first of many, this is not good news.
  • Options
    Well, tbh, we're still waiting to see any actual evidence.....

And, if as per Rookie its not even Halford's role to do these things on PDI then its not even their fault.
  • Options
    slowmartslowmart Posts: 4,414
    Strange a bike sourced in the Far East would have a extra long chain as they’ll have QC audits over there prior to shipping…..

Any damage to the rear mech or hanger?

Interesting to hear what the shop says in this instance.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Options
    ed1973ed1973 Posts: 284
    Didn’t take it to Halfords the poor kid was going on a ride with my lad and the bike was so poorly put together at the shop and not checked that it wouldn’t go into first or second and the chain was so floppy it kept falling of the chain rings. What was I going to do? I fixed it for him and made sure the chain length was correct and maybe 5 links was exajurated (sorry poor spelling) it may have been 4. It’s only what any LBS would have done but it was yesterday and everywhere was closed due to the queens funeral!
  • Options
    andyrrandyrr Posts: 1,814
    MattFalle said:

And, if as per Rookie its not even Halford's role to do these things on PDI then its not even their fault.

So you buy a bike with some significant faults. It’s not the shops fault, as they have an agreement to not check and fix things that aren’t on a list.
    That seems like a ringing endorsement for that retailer then.
  • Options
    reaperactualreaperactual Posts: 1,186
    edited September 2022
    My first mountain bike when getting back into the sport was a Halfords bike. It had been randomly fitted with those aluminium cup and cone washers underneath the calipers for no reason whatsoever. I didn't know at the time how bad that could have been long term. The brakes were weak with pads not aligned properly and it was only lucky I spotted it and found out it was wrong.

Halfords mostly sell bikes to novice, beginners and kids parents so have more responsibility to ensure their bikes are safe considering their average customer base.

If I'm understanding this correctly employee's hands are tied if they see a problem or (possible safety) issue. Halfords as a company can wash their hands of responsibility using some sort of legal loophole because its not on a list their management made up? 🤔
  • Options
    pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 24,714
    Ha! Our son brought his son's bike round that he got from Halfords as it wasn't braking correctly. The fork had been installed the wrong way round.
    This was pre pandemic though. I'd like to think things have improved...
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Options
    ed1973 said:

Didn’t take it to Halfords the poor kid was going on a ride with my lad and the bike was so poorly put together at the shop and not checked that it wouldn’t go into first or second and the chain was so floppy it kept falling of the chain rings. What was I going to do? I fixed it for him and made sure the chain length was correct and maybe 5 links was exajurated (sorry poor spelling) it may have been 4. It’s only what any LBS would have done but it was yesterday and everywhere was closed due to the queens funeral!

you do realise Halfords didn't build the bike, yah?

And that they aren't allowed to do the bits you allege needed doing, yah?

Still waiting for evidence re 5, 4 whatever links and the rest.

And what did the branch say when you went back to complain?
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    andyrr said:

MattFalle said:

So you buy a bike with some significant faults. It’s not the shops fault, as they have an agreement to not check and fix things that aren’t on a list.
    That seems like a ringing endorsement for that retailer then.
    exactly Andrew. Top work. You've really hit the nail on the headon this one. Groovy sauce. 👍👍
  • Options
    How can any bike retailer get "a ringing endorsement" for sending out bikes that are not fit for purpose? That the staff claim they are not allowed to adjust/alter certain things is something that has been decided by the management and it is a total cop-out!

It isn't even that this is a one-off is it? Everyone assumes it's Halfords because they have a track record of this sort of dreadful customer service going back YEARS.
  • Options
    ed1973 said:

maybe 5 links was exajurated (sorry poor spelling) it may have been 4.

It's the fact that links can only be removed in pairs (or you'd end up trying to join inner to inner or outer to outer) meant I knew you couldn't possibly have removed 5 links!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Options

ed1973 said:

It's the fact that links can only be removed in pairs (or you'd end up trying to join inner to inner or outer to outer) meant I knew you couldn't possibly have removed 5 links!
    we think thats the least thing wrong with his post, tbh.....
  • Options
    MattFalle said:

ed1973 said:

we think thats the least thing wrong with his post, tbh.....
    That’s a little harsh! I made a bike fit to ride for a kid who just wanted to ride a bike!
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Something lke that, yup, something like that.....

Still waiting to see the evidence plus answers to questions as above passim.
  • Options
    masjermasjer Posts: 2,372

ed1973 said:

If the chain was originally fitted using a pin, 5 links could have been removed when refitting with a quick link.
  • Options
    MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

I’m really sorry but I didn’t take pictures of the bike in the state that it was in. I didn’t realise that I needed this kind of evidence to be able to satisfy your clear need to not berate me for doing this. It could almost be construed that you think I’m lying!
  • Options
    Well so far we've had:

- A SHOCK! HORROR- thread title and story
    - No confirmation of bike
    - No confirmation of branch
    - No confirmation of what the branch said
    - No confirmation of what the lad's parents said to the branch
    - No confirmation of what they said to you when you told them that you had invalidated their warranty on a brand new bike
    - You're not actually too sure how many links you allegedly took out of a chain
    - No evidence at all that this actually happened
    - No confirmation of your mechanical quals that make you more qualified to touch a bike than someone who isn't actually allowed to touch the bike without invalidating the bike's warranty
    - No acknowledgement of Slowmart's questions above

That's all really. Minor stuff you know.

Its just a bit of a hyperbolic shambles atm.
  • Options
    “Hello Mrs Miggins, It’s Ed, ****** dad.  Sorry to bother you this lovely Sunday morning but some member on a forum site needs a few specific details about ***** bike…just small stuff like where you got it, the frame number, and the number of spots on the face of the teenager who sold it to you.  Oh, by the way, i took a couple of links out of the chain and now you know that your warranty is invalid.  No, no, no…we cant put them back and the YTS lads at Halfords count all the links on the chain when you take it in.  Didnt you notice them doing it and writing it down when you bought it?   Very thorough they are.  Anyway, can you crack on, internet Matt needs this info quick smart so he can lord it over me…he’s hoping to pass 11000 comments this week and you’re holding him up”

DO you really think I’m going to phone a kids parents and ask them for all those details just to satisfy the bone er of some keyboard warrior on the internet?
    “What did they say when you told them you had invalidated their warranty?”. “No evidence at all that this actually happened”. Get a grip. The very fact that you think someone would invent this story speaks volumes about you. The fact that you’re spending your Sunday trying to wind me up tells me everything i need to know about what you get up to in your grotty little bedsit, feeding your house Iguanas.
    ALL the hyperbole is coming from you. Have yourself a ‘moment’ it may help you calm down.
    Mods feel free to close this thread and ban me I probably deserve it.
    This forum used to be a nice place but now it’s overrun with KW’s trying to score points in order to give vague meaning to their sub-average existence.
  • Options
    ed1973 said:

“Hello Mrs Miggins, It’s Ed, ****** dad.  Sorry to bother you this lovely Sunday morning but some member on a forum site needs a few specific details about ***** bike…just small stuff like where you got it, the frame number, and the number of spots on the face of the teenager who sold it to you.  Oh, by the way, i took a couple of links out of the chain and now you know that your warranty is invalid.  No, no, no…we cant put them back and the YTS lads at Halfords count all the links on the chain when you take it in.  Didnt you notice them doing it and writing it down when you bought it?   Very thorough they are.  Anyway, can you crack on, internet Matt needs this info quick smart so he can lord it over me…he’s hoping to pass 11000 comments this week and you’re holding him up”

DO you really think I’m going to phone a kids parents and ask them for all those details just to satisfy the bone er of some keyboard warrior on the internet?
    “What did they say when you told them you had invalidated their warranty?”. “No evidence at all that this actually happened”. Get a grip. The very fact that you think someone would invent this story speaks volumes about you. The fact that you’re spending your Sunday trying to wind me up tells me everything i need to know about what you get up to in your grotty little bedsit, feeding your house Iguanas.
    ALL the hyperbole is coming from you. Have yourself a ‘moment’ it may help you calm down.
    This forum used to be a nice place but now it’s overrun with KW’s trying to score points in order to give vague meaning to their sub-average existence.

so no idea where it was bought, number of removed links has changed again, no idea how it was bought, no evidence it actually happened and you didn't actually tell the lad's parents you were messing with his bike?

"Spots"
    "YTS lads"

nice. nice way to talk about people.

• Options
    pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 24,714
    ed1973 said:

Ed just told Papa Smurf to wankitout. 🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Options
    To quote Phil Mitchell to Sharon: " don't worry about it, I'll sort myself out".

• Options
    andyrrandyrr Posts: 1,814
    ed1973 said:

Whoa!! You’ve questioned the expertise of anMF, don’t you know he’s a forum guru of lots of stuff, as you’ll see if you spend time on here: like bikes, and British army issue boots and Putin and Hunt wheels and, and …..
    He’ll need pics of everything as well otherwise it didn’t happen.
  • Options
    andyrr said:

ed1973 said:

Whoa!! You’ve questioned the expertise of anMF, don’t you know he’s a forum guru of lots of stuff, as you’ll see if you spend time on here: like bikes, and British army issue boots and Putin and Hunt wheels and, and …..
    He’ll need pics of everything as well otherwise it didn’t happen.
    😀😀💯💯
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    masjer said:

ed1973 said:

If the chain was originally fitted using a pin, 5 links could have been removed when refitting with a quick link.
    But add one back, so net remove 4, as we were talking chain length that's the relevant answer!