Forum home Road cycling forum Workshop
Options

Can anyone offer advice on this...

2»

• Options
    m4ttcm4ttc Posts: 41
    Still nothing back from our friends in Halfords. Coming upto 10 days now they have had it. They did ring me a week ago to tell me they didn't have any tools that could do the job
  • Options
    veronese68veronese68 Posts: 26,956 Lives Here
    Do they know what the job is then? Do they not have another brand with the necessary expertise they could send it to? Pretty poor service to say the least.
  • Options
    orraloonorraloon Posts: 12,349
    It is a strange economic model that Halfords run. I guess kitting up all branches with all tools required across the ranges plus trained staff = costly. But. I've had 2 wheel replacements free under warranty (though moved on and now running Malcolm sometimes OTP Borgs) as branch didn't have tools to replace faulty hubs. Wheels good, Formula brand hubs shite. Unit cost of hub say couple £ internal vs a complete wheel... Anyway, big corporate vs individual's views = different perspective.
  • Options
    Update
    Got the bike back. They are saying belt was massively over tensioned in the factory
    They had to order a C Spanner as They didn't have one and adjust the eccentric BB by 1cm.
    Seems a lot quieter on the stand without riding it
  • Options
    MattFalleMattFalle Posts: 11,644
    so they've sorted a problem that wasn't of their making then?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    They say the belt tensioning is done in the factory which may be the case. It was massively over tensioned. I think they are supposed to check it at the PDI but they couldn't have done because 1 they didn't have any idea how to check the tension (I showed them the gates app) and 2, they had to wait a week to get a C Spanner from 'two wheels support ? To be able to adjust it.
    A positive side is they got me a c spanner as well. Tech guy was a nice fella. Felt a bit sorry they are not getting what they need training and equipment wise to support the products being sold
  • Options
    MattFalleMattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited August 2021
    bicycle pdi won't check the belt tension at any shop - its factory set. its a pdi, not a build.

tbh, most lbs' won't have a scooby how to check belt tensionor set it up.

all shops have to buy in or source tools from somewhere at sometime.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Options
    I'm unsure how it could be the " quietest " for the first 100 miles .Is there any explanation for that ?
  • Options

I'm unsure how it could be the " quietest " for the first 100 miles .Is there any explanation for that ?

That is the bit that is puzzling me tbh Trevor.. I haven't had chance to actually ride it yet with work etc but it seems quiet again on the stand. Whether the over tightened belt has caused damage inside the hub is another question..